Thursday, August 7, 2008
OBSERVATIONS ON LIFE
The Space Center staff are on vacation and the ships are shut down. So how about a few observations on life? Which is your favorite and why? I'll share mine and the reason at the end of this post.
Here we go......
1. I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."
2. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
3. The other night I ate at a really nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.
4. Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder in the car these days, no one talks about seeing UFO's like they used to?
6. You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs then you lean too far and you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.
6. According to a recent survey, men say that the first things they notice about a woman are their eyes. And women say that the first thing they notice about men is that they're a bunch of liars.
7. Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
8. All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
9. Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut save you thirty cents?
10. I'm not 40-something. I'm $39.95, plus shipping and handling.
11. In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world IS weird and people take Prozac to make it seem normal.
12. Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
13. There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
14. How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
15. Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment, and he says, "I wish you'd have come to me sooner."
16. You read about all these terrorists -- most of them came here legally, but they hung around on these expired visas, some for as long as 10-15 years. Now, compare that to Blockbuster; you are two days late with a video and those people are all over you. Let's put Blockbuster
in charge of immigration.
My favorite is #7. Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Feeling blue usually means feeling sorry for oneself. Feeling Blue is not to be confused with depressed. Feeling blue is like a mostly cloudy day with sneezes of sunshine speeding along the ground as clouds pass overhead. Depressed is a tempest of billowing dark clouds, teeming sheets of rain and a wind able to blow the 'ust' out of Gust.
Depressed is a seriously over used word. We use it to describe everything from the feelings your get when your favorite TV show was preempted by a speech from the President to walking away from the dentist chair after hearing you've got 4 cavities and need a root canal with a couple of bridges thrown in for good measure. My friends..... Feeling Blue is the correct word for these situations. Leave the word Depressed for something major like death, near death, or a tax audit.
So, when you're feeling 'blue' (sometimes referred to as 'under the weather') follow the advise learned from today's post - Start Breathing! Get up, be thankful you're alive, remember there are many that really do have it worse than you, and start walking. Don't stop until you feel better. Get that blood pumping and oxygen moving and before you know it your Blue Period will pass and you may be a pound or two lighter as an added benefit.
Now, be good and make it a great day.